Friday, October 9, 2009

Solo vs. Co-Pilot

Frequently I have the opportunity to parent my daughters going solo for a few days or even a week or so. It seems as though it takes a day to get used to the fact that you are alone and that no re-enforcements are coming in to help, relieve you or to play man-on-man offense or defense as needed. I look at these occasions as an opportunity to relax some of the domestic duties like cooking a real dinner every night! But usually it means that the girls and I enter some kind of detente where they realize mom's in charge and there is less room for begging, cajoling and waiting to see if Dad has a different opinion. I get kind of used to doing it my way and the girls and I seem to work it out. But then,

Papa comes home! Honestly, I can't wait for him to get home but it does change the delicate balance of control that worked while he was away. He and I are tired for different reasons, the kids are happy to see him and show it it their own ways and sometimes seem almost indifferent. The tricky part is now welcoming that second opinion, stepping back from making every decision, and reconnecting as a co-parent.


I'd like to know if other parent's struggle with this? Am i just really controlling? I don't want all the control...

No comments:

Post a Comment